I attended the first Wordcamp in my area and my first Wordcamp period. It was an all day event with lunch included for $25 (Canadian!!). I wanted to share a few things that I took away. So here it goes!
- Do not sign-in public networks (coffee shops) unless you are using a VPN for security reasons.
- Backup your site – check out Plugins in WordPress.
- Make sure your hosting platform is using the latest version of PHP.
- Don’t have your admin/username be the same as the name you use on your posts. This is for security reason as hackers now know your username.
- http://make.wordpress.org ways to get involved with the WordPress community. One presentation was how a lady got a job with WordPress just by helping people on forums with problems.
- It should only take 3 clicks to get someone on your site to where they want to be.
- 3-5-7 rule. No more than 5-7 items on your menu or three drop downs from each item. Your About Me page counts as one item.
- 5-7 tags per post. Apparently Google doesn’t like more than this one presenter said.
A few things were over my head as sessions were broken into Site, Content and Code creators. So something for everybody. Realize some of this is presenters’ opinion but always good to have another take.
Let me know what you think of them. What plugins for backup are you using? What do you think of http://make.wordpress.org. Also check to see if your city/area having a Wordcamp.
You can always start now!