Last month I wrote more than I have written all year. The reason was it was National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWri). NaNoWri is a worldwide event to write a novel (50,000 words) in a month. I quickly signed up and checked out my regional forums for write-ins and I was off. I was committed to getting my 50,000 words by the end of the month. I treat it serious and I am at my desk writing every other night and watching my word count slowly grow. I enjoy the process, take in write-in and encourage and support my fellow NaNoWri peeps.
So why is it come December 1st I am back to not writing or putting it aside until I can find the time? I mean I have a draft (be it awful but still an idea is in there somewhere) to work on and fine-tune. So why am I not writing every other day or at least twice a week? I know I am not the only one and I realise it is not just writers but anyone who enjoys creating. For me it is being part of a community and having a deadline that spurs me on in November. I see my regional word count increase and I want to get my ideas down.
How can I keep the momentum going the rest of the year? Creating can be isolating and it is often the first thing that is dropped when other demands are put on us. We can pick that up whenever, this needs to be done now or basically everyone else’s needs and wants are more of a priority than ours. So, here are a few ideas I have jotted down for us to consider starting now!
- We have to start treating our time as a priority to create.
- Block off time like you would to take a class or to help a friend.
- Find a friend or group to hold you accountable.
- Check out your area to see if a painting, writing or other classes are offered.
- Head to your local library and write or a coffee shop if you are distracted at home.
- What about creating a group on-line to check in with and help hold each other accountable.
- Consider your lunch hour as time to connect with your creative self.
- Start taking note of when you are the most focused and creative – is there a trend?
- What can we do as a community to support each other?
You can always start now!